Thursday, June 21, 2012

Father's Day Coconut Cream Pie

I have mentioned before that my husband's favorite pie is Coconut Cream Pie. I decided he should have one for Father's Day!  I've been making this same coconut cream pie recipe for a while... once I found it I stuck to it!  I make some changes here and there and it is a winner each time!

Start off with a Foolproof Pie Crust.  For some reason, when I made the crust this time it turned out to be my best ever.  I think it may be because I used FROZEN butter instead of merely "very cold" butter.  I took it straight from my deep freeze, cut it into pieces and used it for the dough.  It didn't have any chance to defrost and lots of buttery lumps were visible throughout the dough.  I did actually use the entire water/vodka amounts this time, too and it wasn't "too wet" as it has been before, so I think the frozen butter helped there as well.  When it was baked, it was so flaky and delicious, I could hardly believe it!  Three cheers!

Anyway, onto the coconut cream part!


I have tweaked the original recipe so much that it only partially resembles the original one, so I am just going to report MY way.  Whisk sugar, eggs, and flour in a medium bowl. 

One of my more important changes (in my opinion) is using coconut milk instead of regular milk.  I use 2 1/4 cups of milk total, achieved by using a can of coconut milk and adding whole milk until it equals 2 1/4 cups.  You might notice my healthy choice of "lite" coconut milk.  This is what I had on hand and it just makes me giggle.  Now my pie is low fat!  HA!!

Mix the milk and shredded coconut together in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.

Once the milk/coconut mixture has simmered, gradually add it to the egg mixture, whisking constantly!

Then put it back in the saucepan and cook until it thickens and boils, stirring constantly.  Here is when it becomes nice and custard-y and yummy looking!

Now pour that mixture into a bowl and stick that bowl into an ice bath.  This helps the cream chill faster.  Put some plastic wrap right over the top of the custard so it does not form a skin.  That would be gross!  (Speaking of gross, you might notice that my custard is in the same bowl I used for the egg/sugar mixture earlier.  I washed it before using it again!!  No worries!)

Once cool, the custard into your COOLED pie crust, cover it with plastic wrap, and stick it in the refrigerator overnight.

When you are close to wanting to eat this pie. Toast some coconut  and allow it to cool.

Beat cream, sugar, and extract together until peaks form.  Spread the cream all over the pie making sure you get it to where the custard meets the crust all the way around.  Sprinkle the top with your toasted coconut.

Mmmm.  Mr. Clever Mom was thrilled!  He thinks this is the perfect pie!  I am glad I can bring this sort of bliss to my husband for Father's Day!  He deserves it!

Coconut Cream Pie
adapted (a lot) from Bon Appetit

1 recipe Foolproof Pie Crust

Filling
3/4 cup sugar
4 large eggs
4 1/2 TB all-purpose flour
1 can coconut milk
small amount of whole milk (to make coconut milk + whole milk = 2 1/4 cups)
2 1/4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8-1/4 tsp. coconut extract (I have not added this though I am not sure why.  I will definitely try it next time!!)

Topping
2/3 cup sweetened or unsweetened flaked coconut
1 1/4 cups chilled whipping cream
2 TB sugar
1/8-1/4 tsp. coconut extract (I used vanilla as I had no coconut... )

Prepare a recipe of the Foolproof Pie Crust.  Roll it out and transfer to a 9-inch glass pie dish.  Crimp or jazz up the sides of your dough as you like and then pierce it all over with a fork.   Line the crust with aluminum foil and fill it 2/3 with pie weights, dried beans or rice.  Bake it at 375F for 20 minutes, then remove the weights and foil and bake until golden, about 10 minutes more. Cool.

For filling, whisk sugar, eggs and flour in a medium bowl.  Bring milks and coconut to simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Gradually add the hot milk/coconut mixture to the egg mixture, whisking constantly.  Return to the saucepan and cook until it thickens and boils, stirring constantly, about 4 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and coconut extracts.  Pour the custard into a bowl. press plastic wrap over the top to prevent skin formation, and place bowl in an ice bath to chill.  If you have ample time, you could also put the bowl in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to a day.  Once the custard is cool, pour it into the cooled pie crust.  Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.  

For the topping, toast coconut in a small skillet over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.  Cool completely.  While it is cooling, beat the cream, sugar and extract with an electric mixer until peaks form.  Spread the whipped cream all over the top of the filling.  Sprinkle with toasted coconut.

Can be prepared 4 hours ahead.  Cover and refrigerate until serving.  Serve cold.
Printable Recipe

Happy Father's Day, Mr. Clever Mom!  The clever girl is lucky to have such a great Daddy!!

1 comment:

Due to some bizarre spam comments I have recently received, I am moderating the comments for a while. I hope this spam craziness stops so this becomes unnecessary!