Monday, December 10, 2012

Turkey Chili

It has finally gotten cool here in Houston, so I made some Turkey Chili to celebrate the weather.  Seriously, readers, it has been in the 80's lately and it's driving me batty!  I do realize that I live in Texas but can't it just get sort-of wintery in December?  Ugh.  Finally, a cold front has come through and I am ECSTATIC.   The clever girl is, too.  She certainly comes from me, as every day she asks whether she can wear long sleeves and long pants because it is "supposed" to be wintertime, and is so disappointed when the answer is no.  She has repeatedly told me that in the winter there is supposed to be snow and we should be wearing scarves and hats and gloves, and that Houston weather is just "not right".  That's my girl!

Anyway, on to the chili!  This recipe comes from Cooking Light and I change it up a bit sometimes but mostly stick to what the recipe calls suggests.  It is yummy and perfect for a cool day!

Turkey and Bean Chili
adapted from Cooking Light

1 cup chopped red (or yellow) onion
1/3 cup chopped seeded poblano pepper (I use WAY less)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/4 lbs. ground turkey
1 TB chili powder
2 TB tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (19-oz.) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (OR ~1 cup shelled edamame)
1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (14-oz.) can fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
6 lime wedges
low-fat sour cream, for garnish

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion, poblano pepper, garlic and turkey, and cook for 6 minutes or until turkey is done.  Stir frequently to crumble ground turkey.  Stir in chili powder and remaining ingredients through chicken broth, and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.  Stir in cilantro.  Serve with lime wedges and low-fat sour cream.
Makes approximately 6 servings.
Printable Recipe

As you can see in the photo and from the recipe above, I sometimes substitute edamame for the cannellini beans.  They are both tasty, it just depends on my mood.  If making this for a friend who just had a baby, I often choose edamame, as it is less gas producing than the cannellini, theoretically.  Anything I can do to help another mom have a happy baby!


Serve with Sweet Cornbread for a delicious, warm dinner on a cool day! 

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking I needed a good chili receipe for when my family invades - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Due to some bizarre spam comments I have recently received, I am moderating the comments for a while. I hope this spam craziness stops so this becomes unnecessary!