Tuesday, November 11, 2014

TWD: Baking Chez Moi - Palets de Dames


Welcome to the first recipe in a new baking adventure!  The Tuesdays with Dorie group has taken on a new cookbook!  See, Dorie Greenspan published a new cookbook, Baking Chez Moi, so we couldn't let this awesome event pass us by.  We are taking it on, while continuing with our other cookbook, Baking with Julia.   Honestly, this is an undertaking that I am not certain I will be able to totally complete, as it means that we are baking and posting something for every Tuesday.  And while you know I have a compulsion to bake, I have other things I want to bake/cook/post about as well, so this could get tricky.  But I will do my best and I hope you'll stick with me!

So, our first recipe is Palets de Dames.  They are a cakey cookie with a delicate vanilla flavor that is brightened with a lemony-sweet icing on top.  The batter for this cookie is really like cake batter.  Very soft and sticky.  It refrigerates for at least an hour, which helps it firm up to be a bit more cookie-dough-ish.   It is then scooped out in little balls onto the cookie sheet.  Dorie recommends using a 2-teaspoon cookie scoop for such an endeavor.  That lady is smart.  I don't have one so I just used 2 teaspoons-worth of dough and rolled it in my hands.  This was sticky and messy.  Doable, of course, but don't you think I should purchase some cookie scoops?  I think it is definitely a good idea.  You can never have too many baking gadgets, can you?  (Hint: The correct answer is "No, of COURSE not!")

While these cookies are cute, and tasty, I am not sure I'll make them again.  They aren't a cookie that call to me every time I walk near the kitchen, "come have a treat...." which, actually, is probably a good thing.  However if anyone asks for iced cookies, I'd make these in a heartbeat.  They really are easy and tasty.  Oh, and I added the sprinkles.  They aren't a necessity for these cookies, but they sure make them cute, huh?  And trust me, sprinkles take them OVER THE TOP for 6-year old girls! 
 

You can find this recipe on pages 272-274 of Baking Chez Moi.  Since this is my first recipe out of this book, I can't say much about the book as a whole yet.  However, based on the brilliance of Baking: From My Home to Yours and my complete admiration for Dorie Greenspan, I suspect that this cookbook will be fantastic!  I was able to pre-order it before it was published, so it arrived on my doorstep the exact day it came out!  I have to admit that I grabbed the book from my porch, ran into the house, and slowly but eagerly looked through every page.  I'm such a dork. 

If you want to see what other bakers thought of this recipe, head to the Tuesdays with Dorie blog and click on LYL:  Palets de Dames.

20 comments:

  1. I love my cookie scoop. Not only it works well for cookies, but it is perfect for topping them with ice cream. Nice to meet you, Sharron!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll love having a cookie scoop! I use mine ALL the time :) Glad to be back to baking on Tuesdays with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cookies looks quite festive and delicious! I actually loved them…they are a perfect cookie to accompany my cup of tea! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cookies looks wonderful and with the colourful sprinkles, I can imagine the smiles it'll bring to 6 year olds! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely need a scoop! Amazon tends to have great flash sales during the holiday season where you can get a set pretty cheap.
    My husband loved these, they reminded him of black and white cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking that I should get a cookie scoop as well! Your cookies look really festive and colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sparkles! So glad you will be baking along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look so cute with the sparkly sprinkles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cookies look quite festive with all the sparkles. A great recipe to begin this baking experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cookie scoop may be the only gadget I don't have in my kitchen and yes, I could have used one this week. This was quite a sticky adventure, no ? The results are lovely and your sprinkle colors are so fun. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute cookies.
    Scoops are mandatory when making cookie - I hate portioning out all those individual pieces, so scoops are the only way to get me moving along :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty with the coloured sprinkles! I'm new to the group and looking forward to this baking adventure too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can never have too many sprinkles! :) I am glad these turned out for you! Glad to be baking along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cookies are darling! I love all the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all the colours of the sprinkles you used - no wonder they were irresistible to the six-year-old set! As for cookie scoops, I've resisted so far, but I'm really tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice rainbow of sprinkled cookies! I agree that it will be a lot to juggle, but glad to see you baking this book with us, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are perfect for young ladies! How fun. Yes, you gotta get a scoop or two, or three... :) I went with her suggestion of using the pastry bag - worked great. I hear you about juggling all these recipes - I'm also in two other clubs - it will take some effort to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look so cute and fun! I forgot my sprinkles!
    I was thinking same things about how I'm going to keep up with all the recipes! I've already procrastinating completing this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks like a party there with all the colored sprinkles...so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Due to some bizarre spam comments I have recently received, I am moderating the comments for a while. I hope this spam craziness stops so this becomes unnecessary!