Tuesday, February 24, 2015

TWD: Baking Chez Moi - Pink Grapefruit Tart

This week's Tuesday's with Dorie recipe is Pink Grapefruit Tart.  This is a tasty recipe that has a LOT of steps.  I am not trying to dissuade you from wanting to make this recipe, I am just warning you that there are lots of steps that have hours of timing inbetween.  Figuring out how to actually plan for this tart was more than I could handle, so it wasn't actually chilled enough at dessert time and was eaten later.  No big deal, it just meant that the clever girl didn't get a piece at that time as she was already in bed.  However that worked out fine, as quite honestly I don't think she would have cared for this tart. Which is not to say that it isn't good, because it is.  But there is a bitter component that I am certain she would not like.  You'll understand as I go along...

Are you ready for the components of this tart?  Looks like there isn't much, doesn't it?  Ha.  First, there is the sweet tart dough.  Easy to mix together, and the it is refrigerated for at least 2 hours, then rolled out and placed into the pan, then chilled again for 30 minutes.  Bake for approximately 35 minutes and allow to totally cool.  That's step 1.  Other steps can be made simultaneously, as there are lots of different timing issues in this recipe.

Next:  Lemon Almond Cream.  This is essentially butter, brown sugar, almond flour, lemon zest and an egg, that get whirled together and the refrigerated for at least 1 hour.  I was excited for this element, as it gave me a chance to use the almond flour that I made by drying some pulp from making almond milk!  Almond milk is my new true love and I make it extremely often so we always have some available.  Thus I have lots of almond pulp left over for which I try to figure out uses.  Almond flour is one of my first!  The bonus is that this almond flour also contains a little vanilla and date, as that is how I make my almond milk.  Mmmm.  I digress...  Let's continue with the Pink Grapefruit Tart components as we are still just beginning...

The next item is grapefruit cremeux.  Here is where I learned a great lesson.  Well, maybe two lessons.  Fresh grapefruit juice is used in this mixture.  So of the 100's of giant Texas grapefruits I purchase and eat every year, there are always a handful that are not very sweet, they are a bit more bitter.  Of course the grapefruit I grabbed to juice for this recipe was one of those!  And of course, I did not taste the juice before using it, as that would have been the OBVIOUS thing to do.  I realized the problem when the cremeaux was almost finished and I noticed a tiny bit of grapefruit pulp sitting by, so I tasted it.  Ack!  I was horrified.  Doubly horrified as I knew that another ingredient for the cremeaux is Campari.  I didn't know anything about Campari before I bought it and then checked it out via my friend Google.  (Had I done that first I probably would not have purchased it, and used Grand Marnier instead or something).  About.com uses these terms to describe Campari:  "extremely unique flavor" of "very bitter orange", it "takes some getting used to" which "might take a few years".  Years?  Good grief.  So here I have a bitter liquor mixing with bitter grapefruit to make a tasty dessert?  Yikes.  I used  little less Campri and added 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar towards the end of making the cremeaux (when I realized my predicament) and hoped for the best.  Honestly, had i used a normal sweet grapefruit, it would have been MUCH better.  You live, you learn.  My lessons here?  Taste, taste, taste.  Oh, and don't work on desserts after drinking 3 glasses of wine.  Just saying.  Probably not my best choice...

Oh, in case you are wondering, the cremeaux has to chill for at least 6 hours.

Then there are the grapefruit supremes.  They are supposed to sit between thick layers of paper towels for 3-8 hours BEFORE you plan to eat the tart.

The lemon almond cream is spread in the tart shell and then baked, then it has to chill completely before the cremeaux is spread inside.  Then, guess what, the whole tart is refrigerated AGAIN after you place the supremes on top, for at least 2 hours.

You see the timing confusion here?  Easy steps, but lots of timing issues!

Taste:  The crust is kind of like a shortbread cookie, yum.  The lemon almond cream is good, though I probably could have used less lemon zest.  It called for the zest of one lemon, and since lemons differ in size I may have used too much.  Good though.  The cremeux definitely has a bitter tone, but isn't bad, especially when you get a piece of the supreme with your bite.  The burst of sweet juiciness of the supreme makes up for the bitter in the cremeux.  Oh, and I served it with lightly sweetened whipped cream.  Mmmm. 

Would I make this again?  I would love to taste it with a sweet grapefruit inside instead of the crummy bitter one I used.  But I don't think it is worth the extensive timing for this dessert.  It is beautiful and fairly tasty, but a ton of prep.  Maybe one of the other bakers figured out a better way to coordinate the timing of this one.  I should have planned this by figuring out what time I wanted to eat the tart and worked backwards from there to figure out the right timing, probably.  But that takes real forethought, which I rarely have on  good day it seems, and certainly don't have after 3 glasses of wine!

The recipe for the Pink Grapefruit Tart is on pages 139-141 of Baking Chez Moi




13 comments:

  1. I agree - this tart requires a lot of prep time and timing coordination. I don't know about you, but this is going into my "very special occasion" category.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tart looks beautiful, and I am sure that the sweet components balanced out the bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You tart looks great! I love that you made and used your own almond flour -- you should post about how to do that, I'd love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree on the complicated timing of this. I feel like it took me 3 days. Especially since I ended up making a second crust, because like you I think I had had too much wine while I was preparing my first few steps and missed the smell of the browning crust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tart looks lovely especially with the segments of ruby fruit. I love that you recycle the almonds from the milk to make flour; I think you'll find many uses for it in Baking Chez Moi since it seems to be a common ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next time I would definitely spread the process over two days as I was minding this tart all day today trying to get it done on time. Well worth the effort but still. Yours looks really good. I love the look of your crust, looks so nice and toasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of planning on this one, but your tart looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i didn't know what Campari is either! I didn't make this one--- looks like a ton of work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was time-consuming and took alot of planning. Very sweet and bitter. If I make this again I will have it with whipped cream. Your tart looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah, this is a hard one to just crank out in one go because of all the waiting time. too bad we don't have a hugo & victor here to just buy one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whew. You have me tired just reading about it :-)
    I stuck all my chilled stuff in a snowbank (seriously) and cut the chilling time down a lot - the below freezing temps probably sped things along too.

    Next time - I would skip the crust and almond cream and just make the cremeaux!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I skipped the Campari because of the cost and because I read those same comments that you did. I did love this tart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's a reason I love my local bakery. These types of things are just too complicated and fussy for me. Good for you for sticking with it. The grapefruit looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Due to some bizarre spam comments I have recently received, I am moderating the comments for a while. I hope this spam craziness stops so this becomes unnecessary!